One of many biggest opportunities in ecommerce comes from promoting on Amazon.
With marketplaces everywhere in the world, more than 244 million lively users on Amazon.com, and exponential progress in gross sales over the previous few years, projections for the longer term look ever promising.
One of the best alternatives lie behind long-tail searches and area of interest product ideas with vital demand.
An ever-increasing worry for Amazon sellers is rising competition and getting started. Sellers need to reduce danger and ensure they win an enormous slice of the Amazon pie.
The good news is, this all begins with one essential piece of labor. Product research. Even better information, I’m going to show you ways to make sure you’re doing efficient product analysis.
Finding the “Right” Product
Most profitable Amazon sellers right now have discovered this the arduous means, by means of trial and error. I know this because it’s how I turned a profitable ecommerce owner.
That is why Jungle Scout was created: to help entrepreneurs with probably the most refined tools and probably the most accurate knowledge, but in addition with free assets, coaching, and steerage.
I might advise you to spend round 20 hours on product research and comply with the useful ideas in this information alongside the best way.
These are the exact methods that I exploit when doing my very own product research. I used these techniques to launch Jungle Stix, our collaborative launch product, which racked up over $200okay in gross sales inside the first yr. Since then, I’ve launched a Million Dollar Case Research, with much more strategies and insights deliberate for the yr ahead.
Let’s Start With Some Fundamentals
Listed here are some primary standards that you simply want to engrain into your thoughts as a product researcher. Every time you are looking at a product concept you need to all the time be on the lookout for the following:
- Worth: Products ought to be within the $20 – $75 worth bracket, anything under $20 can have profitability points, and something too costly means spending far more to get began.
- Shippable: Look for sturdy and simple products that are not outsized and keep away from fragile merchandise.
- Sourceable: You ought to be in a position to find the product on Alibaba (Learn extra about how to supply products from Alibaba), International Sources or other, comparable supplier directories.
- Seasonality: Ideally, your products will usher in year-round sales. Tip: Use Google Tendencies to determine seasonality tendencies for key phrases on the click of a button.
In-Depth Research & Superior Standards
Some individuals might stop there however no, we haven’t even scratched the surface but. Though I’m calling this advanced criteria, contemplate it crucial advanced criteria.
That is the place lively research and evaluation comes into play.
Perfect merchandise ought to meet all the following standards:
1. Constant & Adequate Demand (higher than 400 sales/month)
You want to know that potential products are already selling on Amazon. Verifying demand is so essential. I like to see at the least 2000 gross sales per 30 days amongst the highest 10 sellers of a given product concept or around 400 gross sales per thirty days per product.
When you haven’t acquired Jungle Scout yet, it’s also possible to take a look at our free Jungle Scout gross sales estimator to get you began. It’s out there across a number of marketplaces too!
2. Limited Competitors
As the brand new seller of this potential product, you’ve got to go up towards some competition. Especially when delving into a new niche, you want to discover merchandise the place there’s area out there for a new vendor. Look for products where the highest competitor listings have lower than 100 evaluations, or even lower than 50 critiques.
3. The “Weirdness Test”
In style products can deliver so many obstacles for entry, corresponding to high competition or authorized and trademark points. Hunt down obscure products with demand that aren’t available in brick and mortar stores. You’d be stunned what strange merchandise sellers take advantage of cash from.
4. High Revenue Margins
I could seem apparent but we’d like to know that we will make a revenue. It’s straightforward to overlook
this essential piece when getting carried away with discovering new products. Hunt down merchandise that you could sell for a minimum of $20 and start to collect some tough estimates on FBA charges, delivery and production prices.
How to Actually Achieve Aggressive Edge
Many, although not all, of your rivals might be utilizing the same criteria as explained above to source new product concepts. So let’s attempt some elective (however advisable) techniques to actually dig and find some product concept gold dust!
1. Discover a Product With High Gross sales & Low Scores
Scout out successful products which have a low score. For example, a product that sells 300-400 gadgets per 30 days, however has a score of three.eight or under.
Why? These are products with great demand but have a mean of low score evaluations, which suggests there’s probably a chance for you to improve high quality or add value.
2. Enter a Niche That is Much less Mature
Competitors could be a large worry for brand spanking new sellers. Why not hunt down products with demand which have few evaluations? Attempt looking for products with a excessive sales quantity and 40 or less critiques.
This means it gained’t be so much work to achieve some traction in this niche, and you gained’t be enjoying catch up for too lengthy making an attempt to achieve lots of of evaluations.
3. Spy on the Competitors
The final tip is to discover alternatives by looking for personal label sellers and testing their storefronts. Determine their prime selling merchandise and search for opportunities you can replicate or improve.
You are able to do this manually right on Amazon in the event you like, or you’ll be able to use the Jungle Scout Net App to filter for merchandise that solely have one vendor.
How to Do It
These techniques above are a fantastic example of considering outdoors of the box. There’s all the time a means to reverse engineer one thing. That’s precisely what we did with the Jungle Scout Product Database. A part of the Net App, it’s a strong catalog of merchandise created for Amazon sellers.
It allows you to use sensible filters to find product concepts in seconds. You may utilize it for all three of these methods by filtering it by estimated sales, scores, variety of evaluations and variety of sellers!
There are also some filters out there in the Jungle Scout Pro Chrome Extension, which permit you to spot opportunities while shopping Amazon classes and sub-categories, or looking for merchandise on Amazon:
This isn’t all about Jungle Scout although. You can additionally begin your hunt for product ideas in numerous locations, for instance:
- Amazon Greatest Sellers Listing: This can be a good spot to start. There might be a lot of inspiration, but in addition high competitors. From there you possibly can drill down into Amazon subcategories.
- Reddit: Delve into “subreddits” (matter forums) for strange concepts
- eBay: And different marketplaces too, examine them out for concepts.
- Alibaba: Start your search proper the place the producers and suppliers are.
- Alltop: Discover scorching niches utilizing this useful weblog aggregator.
- Flippa: Get some ideas from hundreds of niche websites which are up for sale
- The Jungle Scout record of over 1000 niches
- Keyword Instruments: Reminiscent of KWFinder, Google’s KW Planner, or LSI Graph, which may also help you drill down into a niche with related search terms and more concepts.
Then use the free Jungle Scout estimator to get your product sales estimates!
Add Worth & All the time Goal For High quality
I lately surveyed hundreds of Amazon sellers and one fascinating reality was that almost all of profitable sellers weren’t looking for to find cheaper supplier options.
It is all the time higher to attempt to discover opportunities where you’ll be able to add worth and/or high quality – which frequently means having a better worth level, but a better product general.
It’s not a race to the bottom, it’s a race to be the most effective.
Once you find merchandise using all the standards and techniques explained above, discover methods to enhance. Read buyer evaluations to discover out what points a product faces and find out in the event you can resolve them.
It could possibly be that a product is decrease in quality or not giant enough. Or you may discover a method to add value by adding in an additional added freebie. For example, in our Million Greenback Case Research, I thought-about including an extra washcloth with our Baby Hooded Towels to deplete the excess materials.
Since you’re striving for quality and value, it’s a superb opportunity to go in with a greater product itemizing and higher photographer than your rivals. From right here you possibly can focus on your advertising efforts to achieve more natural critiques and a greater score, all of which will probably be useful in the direction of your rank and gross sales velocity.
15 High Potential Product Concepts
Now that you’ve the fundamentals down on how to discover merchandise, let’s dive in and get some product ideas. I would like to use the essential strategies that I outlined above and investigate some example merchandise that match the standards. The simplest means to do that is through the use of the Jungle Scout Net App as it can make this course of quicker and simpler to understand. I would like to check out some real concepts to contextualize the methods shared above. This should assist to get your thoughts working in the best way it needs to in order to uncover product alternatives.
Just to offer you a brief peek into the shortcut that I used, I entered my criteria into Jungle Scout’s Net App (Minimal Worth of $18, with more than 300 sales per 30 days, and less than 50 critiques). It seems like this:
From right here, I filtered the database and acquired a bunch of product ideas that meet these criteria. Here’s how my results appeared:
I’ve pulled out an inventory of concepts and niches that caught my curiosity and seem like they’ve potential. They are:
- Aquarium Gravel Cleaners
- Award Ribbons
- Stability Disc
- Burlap Race Luggage
- Burlap Table Runner
- Dish Rack
- Hookah Hose
- Letter Tray
- Masking Tape
- Get together Props
- Play Parachute
- Prize Wheel
- Serving Platter
- Stroller Pad
- Trekking Pole
This provides you an concept of how shortly you possibly can generate an analogous listing with the Net App. Now let’s take a better take a look at these and dig a bit deeper.
Right here’s a screenshot of the outcome as I found it in the Product Database. As well as to generating the product concept itself, I can get some useful info that helps me shortly perceive if the product has potential and if it merits additional analysis.
A fast overview for the Aquarium Cleaner:
- This product has a number of sales – virtually 500 a month, at a nice worth point.
- Charges are comparatively excessive, $13, as it’s a commonplace (giant) measurement.
- Appears fairly simple to manufacture – high quality management shouldn’t be a problem when getting it manufactured.
- These gross sales are generated regardless of having solely 13 evaluations. I think about that I might get that many critiques shortly with a couple of promotions after which presumably I might be ranking for the keyword as properly and get a few of the sales that this product is capturing.
- Good gross sales, not many critiques, and good income per sale.
- It’s onerous to tell precisely what it’s from the primary picture. Might I get more clicks on my itemizing with a special graphic? In that case, that’s a pleasant approach to break into this niche.
- A easy product to manufacture and respectable gross sales.
- Is this product too straightforward to purchase at an area retailer a lot so that individuals wouldn’t determine to buy it on Amazon?
- How competitive or crowded is the niche? I might want to look into the search results for “Letter Tray Organizer” to do additional due diligence.
- Are there ways to market this to different buyer segments by way of keyword research and optimize the listing to attain more promising niches with this product?
- Solely 2 evaluations and 400 sales per 30 days. Wow! This is wanting good from the outset.
- Appears like sensible advertising–including quite a lot of colors and award varieties, bundling it collectively so that they might cost $30.
- That is in all probability very straightforward to manufacture – can’t really mess this up!
- Very mild packaging – lower than a pound, so much less delivery costs presumably.
- I might want to pursue this area of interest—is there demand for these usually? Is there sufficient room for a brand new entrant, or a special sort of ribbon or award to supply?
- Wow, there’s a whole lot of gross sales for this product! Virtually 20 a day.
- It’s oversized, so the fees are steep ($21 per unit bought), however that also leaves $38 internet profit per unit.
- A better worth point is often much less competitive with personal label sellers, and at $60, there are fewer rivals.
- The Itemizing High quality Rating (LQS) is 53 out of 100. This can be a proprietary Jungle Scout score but exhibits some room for improvement with the listing.
- This can be a easy product to manufacture and source, yet sells very nicely. I assume that there is a number of types and shapes that I might source to supply a differentiated product but still faucet into the demand for “tiered cake tray stands”.
- $30 is a pleasant worth level, and certain fewer sellers. I might need to discover what the opposite sellers are offering, the keywords they’re concentrating on and which kinds of tray stands promote the most effective.
- They might use more pictures – a simple means to enhance on the itemizing?
- I included the Jungle Scout Extension knowledge above. That is a simple approach to determine which variants I might want to embrace. In this case, there’s quite a lot of colours that promote properly. By wanting at the Greatest Seller Rank, I can see which one is most popular.
Burlap Table Runner & Burlap Sacks
- I don’t know off-hand how much burlap costs, however my preliminary guess is that that is selling at a good-looking markup. I might want to look into sourcing and prices for this.
- Does the niche as an entire promote nicely? I might need to take a look at the metrics for “burlap race sack” and the way these sellers are faring.
- Under is the Jungle Scout knowledge, displaying how the top outcomes for “burlap race sack” are doing.
- It seems to be like some sellers with very few critiques are within the prime 10 sellers which suggests there’s a chance to rank for the top keywords comparatively shortly!
- An easy product to manufacture, and presumably not very costly. Yet it sells for $25.
- It’s a relatively “unsexy” product, so in all probability much less saturated and competitive amongst other personal label sellers. That is the place the perfect alternatives are.
- This product is promoting nicely, yet doesn’t have any critiques. Perhaps they have been operating some promotions, however that is good news for a brand new potential vendor because it is promoting properly. Think about if the itemizing had just a bit of social proof in critiques? A nice increase of social proof would presumably improve conversion charges.
- Presently out of inventory, and still selling more than 10 models per day. And solely 5 evaluations. This can be a new product in the niche, and has bought nicely. A chance for a brand new entrant!
- The product pictures don’t seem like they are top quality–there are only four pictures, they’re relatively darkish and clearly not professionally taken. It wouldn’t be exhausting to take higher photographs and create a greater listing.
Bachelorette Photograph Props
- Might this be improved by including totally different accessories within the props package?
- Might I target different occasions, like bachelor parties, workplace events, weddings, and so forth with photograph booth props? I might want to take a look at Alibaba or AliExpress to see what is definitely sourceable and what individuals are already promoting.
- This product is promoting properly and doesn’t have any critiques. Is it a crowded niche, or one with a lot of demand and limited competition selling relevant products?
- This seems to be like a strong itemizing: plenty of colorful photographs, good key phrases, and product title, yet still promoting nicely and only 10 critiques. Is there lots of demand that is still unmet?
- What do the damaging evaluations say concerning the product? Solely 10 critiques and four stars shouldn’t be great for this seller–perhaps I can capitalize on the damaging critiques and study what the shortcomings of the product are and create an improved offering.
Baby Automotive Seat Saver
- Products concentrating on new mother and father are sometimes highly regarded, as new mother and father are prepared to spend cash and buy products that help them and their youngsters. A easy waterproof liner like this can be a nice instance.
- I might need to investigate the well being laws and inspection standards for merchandise like this that youngsters will probably be utilizing and dealing with.
- I would like to look into totally different shade liners–perhaps blue or pink, or patterns which might be in demand.
- Moreover, are there totally different sizes or fashions for different strollers? Perhaps there’s a well-liked stroller that doesn’t have a liner accessory. Or at the least I might embrace that sort of stroller brand in the listing, to attempt to rank for those keywords.
- This can be a very robust itemizing, nice photographs and good key phrases within the listing.
- I like that it is $20 per trekking pole – as a result of what’s one pole good for? You want two! So that might usually imply $40 per order.
- I took a take a look at the highest sellers for “aluminum trekking poles”. Here is the Jungle Scout Extension knowledge. It seems like there’s plenty of demand as a result of these sellers sell fairly nicely, however some sellers have lower than 50 evaluations and are still rating within the prime 10 sellers for the key phrase.
- The sourcing, manufacturing and quality management of those ought to be fairly simple.
I hope this text has given you an concept of how I generate ideas and evaluate them once I’m in search of products to promote on Amazon.
The great thing about this business model—and the requisite for product research—is that it is replicable and scalable. You’ll be able to run by way of this formulation many occasions over and the merchandise which are promising are in constant flux. That’s what you get once you’re selling on the most important market on the planet, the juggernaut generally known as Amazon.
If you would like to study extra we’ve an entire library of free assets to assist you discover nice products at our Jungle Scout College. Don’t overlook to get some free sales estimates utilizing the Jungle Scout Estimator.
Maintain generating ideas and making use of the methodologies defined on this article. You may be nicely on your means to constructing a thriving Amazon business!